from my treehouse......to the house across the street

live, love, laugh, and remember to play everyday!

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Pesky growth experiences


One of my favorite artists is Brian Andreas (www.storypeople.com). I have two of his sculptures and two prints. The first sculpture I got has this story: "I finally got to exactly where I wanted to be, she said, so why won't all these growth experiences go away and leave me alone?" Yes, indeed!

When will I learn? Will I ever learn? I spent the better part of a day doing some collages for notecards. I offered some of my art work for a silent auction fundraiser for the agency where I work. All I got for my efforts was a huge mess. Nothing was going together right, things were crooked, and I finally threw in the towel. I am donating, instead, a handmade paper piece I did years ago---something that I like, something that has some quality to it.

The growth experience, the lesson in all this, is something that slaps me in the face with some regularity. If I try to force something, if I try to create something that is not authentically "me," the process is a struggle and unending frustration. The end result is something that I am far from happy with. The end result is something I want to throw in the trash.

When I look at what I attempted the other day and compare those results (and the entire experience) with other work I've done, the differences are obvious to me. And when I compare the creative experiences, one is of frustration while the other is one of excitement and pleasure.

I suppose what it comes down to is this: I can't do, and be happy with, what is not genuinely "me."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog counter
blog counterDiseƱo Web