from my treehouse......to the house across the street

live, love, laugh, and remember to play everyday!

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Inspire Me Thursday: Journaling

This week's Inspire Me Thursday challenge is journaling. Not just sitting down with a blank piece of paper and writing, but using images, paint, colors, textures upon which to write. This is my first experience with art journaling. I've journaled for many years, and have done collage for at least as long. But I've not combined the two in this way before.

A recent experience, an incredibly uncomfortable one, was something I needed to process. I did so in several conversations, but wanted to do some writing about it as well. I wanted to cement the experience---and the processing of it---in my memory. I needed something tangible.

I felt it very important that my art reflect my topic in some way. I found a wonderful magazine cover from at least a decade ago that was the perfect thing. It was patchworked with another magazine page, creating blocks. Searching for just the right images, finding a way to piece them together, and preparing blocks within blocks for writing, were just as important in processing my bad experience as the writing was.

This was, by no means, a quick project. As a result of this challenge, though, I have begun to think about ways I might combine images and words to document more of my life than just the experiences that need to be worked through. Luckily I don't have too awfully many of those! To simply choose a word that suggests the mood, flavor, or experience of a given day might be enough. It will be interesting to play around with some of the ideas I've had, and to share them here.

Inspire Me Thursday Posted by Picasa

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the "patchwork" look and feel of it. I will have to try that in my journal some time :D

8:40 AM  
Blogger Judy Scott said...

Hi Ellen, this process really does get you thinking doesnt it! Love the way you've done yours too, I adore patchwork ideas. Quite afew people have asked about my process Ive written an "essay" on why it was done that way lol, just if you get chance to check it out again. Thanks so much for visiting me and leaving a comment, Love Judy x

9:37 AM  
Blogger Teri said...

What a wonderful job! Isn't it great that you can do both together now. I just love this, it's so full of life.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Radha a.k.a Ratlion said...

Hello :)
Thank's for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. Agree with the others above - love the patchwork feel of your piece. It's great that the piece not only helped you get over the bad experience in a way, but is also inspiring new ideas...but then I guess that is the best part of art journaling :)The new ideas do sound interesting...have fun!

Cheers!

10:09 AM  
Blogger Heartful said...

This is fascinating, love the way you've divided up into squares, and the way you used it to work through a specific experience.

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ellen
Once again I think I´m a bit late on the subject! My only excuse is this dreadful examn, I had to go to yesterday, and also I have to prepare for the next one on thursday. But m-a -y-b-e I could find an hour for my own pleasure during the weekend. I hope so...

4:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi again
I just realized I´m not only a bit late but totally out of time: "Journals" was the topic for LAST week! This week we talk about "contrast"...

4:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is beautiful, love the colors mixed in with the words.
a.

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog counter
blog counterDiseño Web