from my treehouse......to the house across the street

live, love, laugh, and remember to play everyday!

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Inspire Me Thursday

Inspire Me Thursday: Senseless Art

I missed last week's challenge to create art using all the senses.....my senses were in bed with the flu! This week's challenge is make art without using the senses. I thought about blindfolding myself and picking paints and pens and snippets of paper and whatever else I laid hands on, but before I had a chance to do that, I took my morning walk.

I pick up litter as I walk the streets of my neighborhood. It is absolutely senseless to me that so many things are thoughtlessly tossed out of car windows, dropped as people walk along, and blown about from one block to the next, up one street and down another, until it disintegrates or someone disposes of it.

These are the items I picked up this morning in the first three minutes of my walk! I placed them in a box, gave it a little shake and jiggle, and let the items create their own composition.

Broken Lighter
Lightbulb
CD
Business Cards
Losing Lottery Tickets
Perforated Paper
Snippets of This and That
Slim Jim Wrapper

Trash, garbage, refuse, detritus. None of it pretty. Nothing that would be desired by anyone at this point. And yet, tossed into a box and shaken about, a composition is created. An arrangement of shapes, colors, textures, lines and forms...........A work that can be in constant rearrangement and re-creation as other senseless additions are made to the box.


 Posted by Picasa

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ANOTHER LOSING LOTTERY TICKET???????? Geez.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Lia (artjunkgrl) said...

this is awesome. great piece and description!

9:36 PM  
Blogger carla said...

This is such a creative and sensitive approach to the challenge, and you're recycling to boot! I could see a gallery show based on this concept (really)... I like the tiled effect of your composition. Brava!

4:36 AM  
Blogger Radha a.k.a Ratlion said...

Nice take on the challenge...

6:36 AM  
Blogger firstborn studio said...

clever girl!!!
glad you are feeling better!
xo,
d

7:36 AM  
Blogger lindaharre said...

ellen.....didn't see this before! really nice! ~L.

9:02 AM  
Blogger mbc said...

Thanks for visiting my Studio Friday entry. I agree with Carla who said this would be a great gallery show concept. It was interesting to see what you found on your walk and how you recycled the items.

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Isaac said...

Hello mmate nice post

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Isaac said...

Very creative poost

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog counter
blog counterDiseƱo Web