from my treehouse......to the house across the street

live, love, laugh, and remember to play everyday!

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Studio Friday: 7 Layer Salad


This week's topic for Friday July 7th suggested by linda: SF PLAYTIME "7 layer salad".

"... using 7 layers to produce a piece of art. Have you done anything using only circles or only triangles (squares etc.) I loved the challenge of creating with the brush in our teeth! Maybe creating only using pieces of mat board for the implement to apply paint! I do that with my students at school and they produce some really interesting things."

In the midst of repainting my bedroom, with my home in chaos, I stop and play. My 7 layer salad is:

decorative paper, gessoed to soften the image, natural muslin, a scrap of organza, twig tied with string, feathers found on yesterday morning's walk, a pressed leaf that fell from the pages of a book, iridescent gold fluid acrylic, and chestnut brown liquid chalk.

I would much rather play than paint, but I must now go paint so I can move back into my bedroom someday!

{SF}

10 Comments:

Blogger Debbie said...

Well now, this was certainly worth the wait! This is lovely and I love the translucent irridescent look! I admire that you can create such peace and serenity among such chaos! You certainly gain my respect! I usually can only create chaos while in chaos. You're awesome! Fantastic post!

8:25 PM  
Blogger Josie said...

This a beautiful piece. It has feeling in it.

12:52 AM  
Blogger tiffini elektra x said...

Beautiful!! I love the mesh and I adore the sewn branch! A very lovely rich piece.

11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful image, Ellen!
Seeing it I almost want to rush home from Stockholm to my studio... to try out the 7-layers-of-salad-concept. I deliberately did NOT bring any art-supplies for this trip, but now I wonder if that was the right decision...

3:39 AM  
Blogger Abbie said...

Oh.. I love it! The small image doesn't do it justice but the close up is marvelous! I love the layers.. isn't it fun to break out and just play sometimes?
:) Abbie

8:29 AM  
Blogger AscenderRisesAbove said...

Beautifully done!

12:01 PM  
Blogger Stacia said...

I really like your image - soft and beautiful.

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a stunning piece Ellen!! Oh wow, I am in love with the colors and texture in this...so natural and earthy.
You did a fantastic job on the challenge.
a.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Anke Martin said...

I love this piece! Beautiful work!

8:54 AM  
Blogger Kerri Jean said...

this is a beautiful piece. I now want to run home and make a collage with natural elements.

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog counter
blog counterDiseƱo Web