from my treehouse......to the house across the street

live, love, laugh, and remember to play everyday!

Friday, June 02, 2006

Studio Friday: Space


















This week's Studio Friday topic was suggested by Tracie: " Space? The final frontier? I have limited studio space, but not by the mere fact the room is only probably 9x10 but because of all the many things inside of that space! What consumes your creative space? Tell us about those infringements."

My guess is that we all have limited studio space. This is one corner of the room I call my studio. What consumes my studio space? Paper, paper and more paper. And books and books and books. Rubber stamps. Paint. Inks. Old books. Found objects. Sticks and feathers.

I manage to keep all of this fairly well organized in and around two great storage units that were some kind of store fixture at one time. I topped them with a seven-foot long piece of countertop, and hung shelves around the corner. Things are sorted into photo boxes, although none of them are labeled so I'm always going on a hunt. What this photo doesn't show are the three bookcases, wardrobe-size cabinet, and stack of 21---yep, that's right, 21---12x12 drawers filled with scrapbook papers and "in progress" pieces! I feel very fortunate that I have a large room for all of this, but there was a time when a corner of my bedroom served as my studio space. I obviously didn't have this much stuff at the time!

This is my space, my final frontier!
{SF}

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ellen

When I see this, I wish my tudio was a bit more organized and tidy... it looks so nice and inviting when materials and tools are lined up like this.

It´s a delicate balance: You have to know what you have. Some of the stuff is nice to have right before your eye for inspiration.

The very view of your materials/ photoes/ a headline from a newspaper/ an old list or note of a kind gives idéas, associations and inspiration - on the other hand you have to put some of your stuff aside in order to have space to act and actually do something with your materials.

2:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you have a great space. The idea of that 12X12 paper storage rack makes me jealous! I have all my paper in one drawer. I definately need more space.

6:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice studio and so organized.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

What a tidy and well organized workspace! No one has enough, do they?

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE your set up! It is so organized!!! That paper rack is dreamy...
I am glad to have gotten a chance to peek!

XoxoxoxoX
Jane

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your space rocks! I love that it is organised, and artfully arranged.

5:13 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

I, too, have a small room about 9 X 12 but it is no where near this organized! I have paints, papers, stamps, fabrics, yarns, etc etc etc. And they're everywhere! I work in a space about 1 foot by 1 foot!!

7:57 PM  
Blogger Artful Creations by Tracie said...

Ellen I love it!!! what a great way to tie in my 'final frontier' comment too! hehehehe, that is classic indeed.

ooh and btw...I think you live a couple hours south of me...I live about 50 miles south of Chicago!! You ever make your way up here????

12:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you aRE organized. I love your space. I want to just tip toe in there and absorb and smell all of your art supplies.
a.

10:02 AM  
Blogger lindaharre said...

how organized your little space is......i wish mine could stay more organized:)

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog counter
blog counterDiseño Web