from my treehouse......to the house across the street

live, love, laugh, and remember to play everyday!

Friday, June 02, 2006

What I remember........
























So funny the things I remember.........when I also forget so easily, not even having that "now what did I come in here to do?" experience. Totally forgetting! But I found this photo of myself the other day, and could recall with utter clarity having it taken.

I was visiting my Grandma and Grandpa White sometime in the summer of 1961. I would have been 5 when this was snapped. My Aunt Marcia took me out into the front yard and had me face into the sun. What I remember is complaining about the sun in my eyes. Whining and complaining enough got me a spot in the shade. I hope I was grateful for that concession.

Visiting grandma and grandpa wasn't an unusual thing during childhood and adolescence, because they lived just across town, about three or four miles. When I got old enough (about 10 or so) I was allowed to ride my bike there. It was there, during the summer, that I learned to crochet granny squares and watch soaps! Good ol' Days of Our Lives and As the World Turns! In the evenings we would catch lightening bugs in the front yard. And find places in the cool shade, among the ferns, to lay and watch the clouds.

These things I remember of summers past.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwwww, this brought back so many memories of when I stayed/lived with my grandmother. She had these amazing weeping willow trees and I would swing from them like Jane, built forts under the long branches, etc.

Beautiful post.
a.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

I've just found your blog....what a nice memory, simple but meaningful to you. Those are the best kind. The photo is so cute. I can also remember whining about the sun in my eyes while having a photo taken! Must be a kid thing!!

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog counter
blog counterDiseƱo Web